C-6 in Motor Trend- Cover photo
REInvestments
2003-11-27 20:45:11 UTC
So this appears to be officially released pictures of the C-6. See page 62.
And the magazine front cover.

Very reminiscent of both the new Dodge Viper, and of the Ferrari Maranello.

In fact, if you have the magazine, look at page 40, the new Ferrari 612
Scaglietti ($250,000) and then at the C-6, which supposedly will come out
somewhere near $44,000 according to the article.

They've also got a Viper convertible at page 51, which allows a comparison
of front light treatments.

I was strongly considering saving for the oldest Ferrari F355 I could find,
figuring I could find one in about a year for under $60,000 (maybe a 97?),
and I was offered a 96 Viper for $32,000 with 8900 miles by a friend. I
had a 99 C-5 Convertible, and I think both the Viper and the 355 are a bit
more exotic, so used seemed like the way to go.

But looking at the C-6, if it comes out at 400 hp and 385 ft lbs of torque,
standard, for $44,000 new (and without the mark-ups they put on the C-5
when it started out), it certainly looks like the performance bargain of the
century!

Point....counterpoint?
Matt Phillips
2003-11-28 00:07:54 UTC
Post by REInvestments
Very reminiscent of both the new Dodge Viper, and of the Ferrari Maranello.
I thought the exact same thing.
Post by REInvestments
[...]
A Ferrari is just more than numbers on a piece of paper. The Corvette may
put out similar numbers to the older Ferrari, but the overall driving
experience of a Corvette is seriously dull compared to the Italian stallion.
If getting the most performance per dollar is your main criteria, than a C-6
has your name written on it. If you want a piece of automotive history,
rolling artwork on wheels and the most vibrant noise machine on earth, look
no further.
MC
2003-11-28 14:47:15 UTC
Post by REInvestments
So this appears to be officially released pictures of the C-6. See
page 62. And the magazine front cover.
Very reminiscent of both the new Dodge Viper, and of the Ferrari Maranello.
Now go to Motor Trend's web site and check out the Corvette Moray concept
car - THAT is an Italian/Chevy style hybrid that kicks some serious ass. It
would be nice if they made it.

Am I the only one who cannot fucking stand the new style of online ads now
that creep over the site you're looking at, sometimes with
shock-to-the-system sound? They give you this tiny little "Close" X, and
that's it. I hate those goddamned things. I wonder if a pop-up blocker
will kill them, probably not. I've never needed one and I didn't want to
start using one. Damn the web advertising industry to hell for those
things.

MC
REInvestments
2003-11-29 05:03:31 UTC
Post by MC
Am I the only one who cannot fucking stand the new style of online ads now
that creep over the site you're looking at, sometimes with
shock-to-the-system sound? They give you this tiny little "Close" X, and
that's it. I hate those goddamned things. I wonder if a pop-up blocker
will kill them, probably not. I've never needed one and I didn't want to
start using one. Damn the web advertising industry to hell for those
things.
My pop up blocker didn't work at the site you sent me to. It does help
generally. You're not the only one who hates intrusive pop-ups.
Bob I
2003-11-29 14:47:28 UTC
You could try Mozilla. ( www.mozilla.org ) You can filter Pop-up's,
auxilary windows , Ad's from "external servers" and animated ads can be
locked down plus it's free.
Venger
2003-11-29 23:18:04 UTC
Post by REInvestments
I was strongly considering saving for the oldest Ferrari F355 I could find,
figuring I could find one in about a year for under $60,000 (maybe a 97?),
and I was offered a 96 Viper for $32,000 with 8900 miles by a friend. I
had a 99 C-5 Convertible, and I think both the Viper and the 355 are a bit
more exotic, so used seemed like the way to go.
But looking at the C-6, if it comes out at 400 hp and 385 ft lbs of torque,
standard, for $44,000 new (and without the mark-ups they put on the C-5
when it started out), it certainly looks like the performance bargain of the
century!
Point....counterpoint?
Clearly, if the interior has been upgraded, there will be no dispute for
bang/buck ratio. I'd love a fly yellow F355, though it will stare at the
tail lights of a C-6. I'll be trading my 2002 Coupe in for one, for three
reasons:

Stereo with MP3
Two cup holders
Larger, cross drilled brakes

Oh, and 400+ HP with another 50 likely available with the easiest
tuning/bolt ons.

Venger
Grayfox
2003-12-09 15:21:02 UTC
$32,000 for a 1996 Viper is about right..saw a white Convert at last weeks
Daytona Auto show for $30,000 and you can be sure he would take less...by
the way most banks will not give loans against any car over 10 years old
..so that is when deals can be made...

My friend just sold his MB 450 SLC coupe for $7500 cash..he wanted $18,500
for it but none of the lookers could get a bank to go for it....had it for
sale for months....perfect condition. Found out most MB buyers can afford
new ..
xxxman
2004-07-13 19:17:04 UTC
My problem with American cars, is that they quit running well after 3 years,
the paint begins to thin right away, and they look old. The 355 has to be
one of the nicest designs for Ferrari ever. And it'll always look exotically
terrific.
Point....counterpoint?
Mark Jones
2004-07-13 23:12:01 UTC
Post by xxxman
My problem with American cars, is that they quit running well after 3 years,
the paint begins to thin right away, and they look old. The 355 has to be
one of the nicest designs for Ferrari ever. And it'll always look exotically
terrific.
The Ferrari will require maintenance, just like any other car,
if it is going to continue to run properly. If you do not take
care of it, it will start to have problems that can get very
expensive.

A lot of people buy a moderate priced car and only do
enough upkeep to keep it running for a few years and
then they trade it in on another fairly inexpensive car.

My 10 year old Corvette runs better than it did new and looks
better than when it was new.